[efax-users] Re: setting efax for isdn card

--- Jost Ammon <jammon@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hey Trebor,
>
> didn't you, trebor iksrazal <iksrazal@xxxxxxxxx>,
> write
> on Fri, 12 Jul 2002 08:30:40 -0700 (PDT):
>

> > You might want to try the -d option, or DEV= using
> > fax, which I think the example shows, and allows
> you
> > to chosse your device. I know nothing about isdn
> (it
> > still does nothing?)
>
> ...well for me from time to time it does something,
> namly fax on Windoze.
> Internet is via DSL, like you.
>
> > efax -o0 -d /dev/ttyS1 -t T5551212 somefile
>
> which gives a better but still not good logfile:

"somefile" is the file you want to fax - not a
logfile. I'll throw some commands at you, not knowing
your state of "newbie" status. You may already know
this but there is no need for extentions like .txt on
*nix.

echo I want to send this > somefile

Will create a test file, and can be verified like
this:

cat somefile
I want to send this

Obviously timon can be subsituted in place of
somefile. This file should be in the dir the command
was run, or give a path.

> giosetti@linux:~> efax -o0 -d /dev/ttyS1 -t
> T01212511526896 timon
> efax: Fri Jul 12 21:02:51 2002 efax v 0.9a-001114
> Copyright 1999 Ed Casas
> efax: Fri Jul 12 21:02:51 2002 efax v 0.9a-001114
> Copyright 1999 Ed Casas
> efax: 02:51 compiled Apr 12 2002 19:53:13
> efax: 02:51 opened /dev/ttyS1
> efax: 02:57 sync: dropping DTR
> efax: 03:02 sync: sending escapes
> efax: 03:07 Error: sync: modem not responding
> efax: 03:07 failed -> timon
> efax: 03:07 done, returning 4 (no response from
> modem)
> giosetti@linux:~>

You either don't have a modem, or it is not on that
device. Notice how I get the same response when I
switch my device to /dev/ttyS0 .

efax -o0 -d /dev/ttyS0 -t T55512122 somefile
efax: Fri Jul 12 15:41:42 2002 efax v 0.9 Copyright
1999 Ed Casas
efax: Fri Jul 12 15:41:42 2002 efax v 0.9 Copyright
1999 Ed Casas
efax: 41:42 compiled Jun 24 2001 22:09:00
efax: 41:42 opened /dev/ttyS0
efax: 41:48 sync: dropping DTR
efax: 41:53 sync: sending escapes
efax: 41:59 Error: sync: modem not responding
efax: 41:59 failed -> somefile
efax: 41:59 done, returning 4 (no response from modem)

My guess here is that you are still trying to send via
isdn, but in fact you are following my advice for a
modem, which you do not have.

Fear not!!! The web is a good resource for this kind
of thing, and lots of people have similair desires:

http://www.isdn4linux.de/faq/i4lfaq-3.html#ss3.4

http://www.muc.de/~hm/linux/linux-isdn.html

Are two seemingly good sources for you. Whether you
can fax or not seemingly is dependent on which card
you have.

Also, a very good source for linux info is
www.linuxdoc.org .

> > Note these options are for a particular class
> modem.
> >
> > For fax, something like the following although I
> never
> > could figure out the correct option with my class
> of
> > modem(your options will differ):
> >
> > fax DEV=ttyS1 s -v 5551212 somefile
>
> giosetti@linux:~> fax DEV=ttyS1 s -v 01212511526896
> timon
> timon is text...
> efix: Fre 12 Jul 2002 21:04:09 CEST Error: bad
> units: `x11in'
> can't read file timon.001
> giosetti@linux:~>
>
> Here the file obviously can't be read.

It may be trying to guess an extension, since the file
doesn't exist. Try an absolute path like this:

/home/timon/somefile

> > I may be wrong here, but while isdn may provide
> your
> > access to the internet, similair as in my case
> with
> > dsl, you would still need to connect to a POTS
> (plain
> > old telephone service) line to do a fax - you need
> > dial to another phone for the fax, right? Maybe
> I'll
> > learn that it is possible and one of the reasons I
> > replied.
> >
> > For which port your modem is connected to, try
> > dmesg | grep tty
> > ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
> > ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
>
> Yes, these are my settings too.
>
> > I'm using rh, but while the device names may be
> > different irq3 and 4 are very standard.
>
> > iksrazal
>
> From which language does your name come from?
>
> Later,
>
> Jost

Its lazarski spelled backwards, which is Polish.
However I'm an American though I live in Brazil now.

Good luck,
iksrazal